Monday, September 6, 2010

Whittlin'

I am trying hard today to stay away from the kitchen table. Phillip has decided to teach Matthew how to whittle/carve today with a bar of soap and a very small knife. While it is so sweet to see my husband teaching our son "boy stuff" it puts my mommy fears in overdrive. "What if he cuts his thumb?" "What if he drops the knife and it stabs him?" Those sweet little fingers and hands that I still love to hold and ponder there growth through the last five years is learning a new skill. One I suspect that will cultivate and be nurtured over the years as his dad teaches him his craft of woodworking. The love of wood has already been instilled. We saw this even as Matthew chose wooden toys to play with over plastic when he was two! Matthew told me one day when he was big he wanted to build buildings and drive a crane and other big trucks. I wouldn't be surprised if our little builder did just that. It's such a blessing to watch his talents and interests grow, even when they scare me a little:)

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea that you were concerned. You covered it well. I really wanted to finish that project that I was working on, and our sweet son kept wanting me to go in the living room and tickle him. He loves to watch me whittle and to see the form come out of the wood. I was just telling Erin, "it was funny because I was reading this new book that I got this weekend in the mail called Caricature Carving from Head to Toe and it starts out with a safety segment; I was thinking,'that has always just come naturally to me, and that too,' and then I was thinking that when I get tired sometimes, I make this or that mistake. I got to share those things with Matthew this weekend, and it was very cool."

    ReplyDelete