Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Crock Pot Apple Butter

8 cups of peeled apples
4 cups of sugar
1/2 cup vinegar

Mix all of these ingredients in crock pot and cook covered for 12 hours on low. I cook mine overnight. In the morning the apples will appear watery and there is a vinegar smell. Mash cooked apples or puree. I used my potato masher righ in the crock pot.

Add
1/2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. all spice

and cook for 3 hours with the lid off or until the mixture becomes a spreading apple butter consistency. Put into hot sterilized jars, adjust lids and heat process by submerging for 10 minutes into boiling water. If apple butter is boiling and jars are removed from boiling water just prior to putting in apples butter, then putting on the lids and rings and inverting them quickly and turning them right side up again should produce an adequate seal.

3 comments:

  1. That is so funny that you used vinegar. I found a recipe in a book for apple butter, but it required apple juice, which I don't have. Alex suggested using cider vinegar. Now I have credible proof that cider vinegar works! Thanks for sharing your slow-cooker wisdom. :)

    Kendra
    http://www.homesweetmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendra, I used white distilled vinegar. I think I have seen recipes call for cider vinegar on the internet though. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just going to ask which type of vinegar! I totally want to try this out! :) It sounds SO yummy!

    ReplyDelete